Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

New Book: The Year of Living Like Jesus

Reading a new book - The Year of Living Like Jesus by Edward Dobson

At first, I thought this was going to be a cornball book, but after reading just the initial pages and 1st chapter of the book, I have changed my mind. This is going to be good.

I have to admire the gentleman's take on this, I would not have thought of approaching this this way. And it begs you to consider what living like Jesus means - if taken in a literal sense. It shows me at least, that I'm not as "mindful" of this as I should be. He mentions some new phrases that I have come to admire - "the Jesus thing to do" and whether something is "Jesus-ly" I like this, and these are becoming my new personal buzz words.

Why would I do this you might ask? Well - I will admit. I have studied many different religions and religious views. Some - I have adapted. I have studied Native American religion, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Zen. Each have principles that I find appealing, all of them revolving around how to get along with other people, stay out of fights, etc. Yet, it is Jesus that stands out to me more than any of them, because I find in him, what I aspire to be. Not a guru, but the character, the ability to handle himself, the quality of life that comes from him and the reasoning behind it all. There are other reasons more in depth that I won't write here, but suffice it to say - He is what I want to be like.

I find this book so far, interesting in helping me to understand another perspective of that walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment