Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hustle and Bustle - and then Quiet Meditations

Just got back from Texas to see my Mom. She had a stay in the hospital that concerned us, but she's doing ok - at least for the moment.

During our travel, Ann and I decided to take in some narrative readings of Beach Road by James Patterson and Peter De Jonge and Entombed by Linda Fairstein. Both of these books are good as far as plot is concerned and definitely have you going. Beach Road definitely catches you off with a lot or suspense and a twist at the end that leaves you stunned. Entombed is a Poe thriller and fascinating. However, as good as the content and plot, I have to give these a definite BAD-R rating because of the language. It was a turn off to us and disappointing that people feel that they have to use this type of language to form "authenticity." Yes, I am not naive to the fact that in the real world this is how people talk. But, I wonder if authors have considered that people might talk this way because they convey the image?

Naturally, in traveling you have to take breaks - so we decided to frequent bookstores and WalMarts. Here we discovered another book that we have just started The Shack by William Young. Jury's still out on this one, but I will let you know more as we get through it.

Outside of this, visiting Mom in the hospital, and trying to recover from road driving, I spent the week reflecting a lot. And, I made a discovery -- not so much of things I don't or didn't know, but of things I already know. When times and people get critical ...

  1. Consider it a time of self reflection - Am I right? This is a biggie, because human instinct is that you are right no matter what. Its hard to fight this instinct, and consider that if someone is being critical to you, or about you - then you may NOT be right. Now, please don't misunderstand, I am not talking about "abusive" situations. I'm talking about where someone has been critical of you and you don't feel that you did anything to be criticized about. Perhaps before letting loose our mouths and saying things that we shouldn't or may regret later, we should step back and reflect on what is being said by them to see if indeed it may be warranted. Not saying that it won't hurt - but it still may be worth considering. 2 Cor. 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
  2. Consider it a time for Searching The Scriptures! - This (even though we boast a lot about "the Bible Says") is not something that we like to do. It is something that we like to think that we know already! However, my discovery is that my "wisdom" is much lacking in a lot of things. It is a humbling thing to ask the question and to then search out the answer to "What does GOD say?" After all, He is the final "say so" on things isn't He? Why then shouldn't I want to KNOW what God says about something, or to find out? Is it because I am afraid that it might trespass on some dogma or preconceived notion that I have, or that it might rock my "I'm right" boat? John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
  3. Consider it a time for Quiet Actions! - Do what is right, no matter what! But - we don't have to have the trumpets blaring, the crowds gazing, and the fireworks flying to do this. It is what we like, but it is NOT necessary. One of the greatest examples to me about this in the Bible is Priscilla and Aquilla. In a day of bombings, violence and assassinations, the one thing that we DO NOT need, is people verbally assassinating one another. No matter WHAT religion they are. The key component of the scripture and of the character of God, and I don't care how you slice it - if you're out there being critical (me included!) you're not exemplifying that very well. Act 18:26 He began to speak freely (fearlessly and boldly) in the synagogue; but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him with them and expounded to him the way of God more definitely and accurately.
Guess I've got some things to work on then, because as I reflected on these things, I found that I am lacking in some areas and can behave better in others. I hope that this helps you to do the same.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment