Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Taking God's Name In Vain

Hi Everyone. I have been studying the OT law lately, and am relearning things that I thought that I know. Perhaps I should say that I assumed that I knew.

My study this past week, centered around Ex.20:7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."

I have always heard and taken this to mean that you should not utter God's name in a frivolous way. And while it can be taken and means just this, I have discovered that there is much more to this simply stated commandment.
  • First, the "name of God" is much more than just uttering the statement "God" or "Jehovah" or "Yahweh." The name of God is everything about God. It is who He is, as well as the authority with which He speaks. So, it involved more than just saying "Oh God!" or the more famous curse equivalent.
  • VAIN - means to make empty or desolate. Interestingly, the idea is literally to "suck the life from." To bring to ruin. So, the idea is making God's name or authority of no effect. To make God an empty thing, inanimate - if you will - like an idol or graven image that God had just proven to the Israelites of the day that He was not.
  • TAKE - in its primitive or basic definition means to lift or carry. Thus, the idea proceeds further with regard to God's name, that one is not to carry or lift up God’s name in a false way. This would include speech as well as acts. To carry God's name in a frivolous way in conversation or speech is indeed speaking the name of God in an inappropriate way. To speak God's name as a curse upon something or someone, or to utter it in a loose way. It speaks to the idea that Pharaoh of the Exodus stated, "who is this God that I should hear his voice?" Yet also, this idea includes doing something evil in God’s name. The image of Balaam comes up here, who even though told by God not to do so, chose to try to speak curses upon Israel in the name of God. This is speech as well as act. Another image that comes here is that of the Jewish leaders in the day of Jesus, who in the name of God, treated Him villainous, again, speech as well as act.
My first reaction to this learning, is that I am not guilty of these. I once used to take God's name and speak obscenities that would make one blush. But, I no longer do this - do I? I hope not, yet, I find myself at times invoking God's name in speaking what some would call "righteous judgement." Yet my new understanding of this old commandment, is that my actions in calling righteous judgement upon others in making myself their judge is just as much a violation of this commandment as uttering the obscenity. Either way, I have made "God" vain and empty, if you will putting myself in God's place to become a judge.

The next interesting part of this, is what God pronounces in the latter part of the commandment in Ex.20:7, that He will not hold one who violates this commandment "guiltless." The reason, is because the person that does this, makes God the victim. A person unrepentant of this type of behavior, not only violates his own self, but makes God a mark of ridicule, shame, and makes God's authority meaningless. This is the essence of the command.

I would be honored if you would share either your thoughts or experiences on this post. I always strive to learn.

Jim

1 comment:

  1. I have learned, just as you have stated that there is much to learn in Gods word. That's why Timothy commanded us to study to make our selves approved. The more you read the scriptures even thoses that have been read over and over again, something new will come out that has been missed. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete