Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: The Hole In Our Gospel by: Richard Stearns

BOOK REVIEW: The Hole In Our Gospel by: Richard Stearns


I must admit, that when I received this book, I did not know what to think. I opened the pages and found it compelling and addressing an issue that has become more and more prevalent in our "mega-church" society. Many churches in our society find themselves or their members find them selves in a pursuit of wealth, comfort, and self-centeredness. Stearns holds no punches, calling people to address this and to understand that being a Christian is more than just forming "a personal and transforming relationship with God. It also entails a public and transforming relationship with the world.”


The Hole in Our Gospel explores a variety of topics. I found various sections of it interesting and thought provoking. I have always had an interest of how people have come to know God and their journey. He talks about the gospel and his own journey of faith. What I found most compelling, were the many challenges that he states that the poor of the world face and drills down with details, statistics and stories that brings these facts to life. What I found most convicting, is that he also shows how self-absorbed tendencies of people in "developed societies" turn blind eyes to these needs. Very impacting and convicting. In fact, I found pieces of the book (at least in my view) something that I felt that our politicians should read. The latter part of the Hole In Our Gospel is full of practical advice on how to begin addressing poverty and need among us.


What I found a little disappointing in the book, is that it addresses mostly the "mega-church" oriented groups. I belong to a small group in a small town. While I found its advice practical and have put to practice some of the things it mentions, I was left wondering how for instance a church of mostly elderly retired people living on fixed incomes would approach this. Perhaps it is because Mr.Stearns is President of World Vision, that I found most of the things he addresses to be involved in the world at large. What I did not see, was more written on how to address these things in our own small communities that are drying up because of unemployment.


All of this said, overall it is a good book, an interesting read, and full of practical wisdom. I commend him for relating his story of setting aside success for something far more significant. I commend him for taking the Lord's word to heart and putting it to practice and challenge others to follow his example. Read the book, you will not be disappointed. In fact, you may find yourself challenged as I did, that we can always do more than we think that we can.




No comments:

Post a Comment