Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

God Walk? or Self Guided Tour?


“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Ph'p. 4:13)

This is a "mantra verse" for many people, something that they repeat almost like a chant, hoping that they can make it through whatever it is they are going through.  It is important though, to understand, because God never intended for you to figure out what to do without him. How you get on task and how you succeed at what God wants you to do are God’s responsibilities. Your responsibility is to seek his guidance and obey his directions (Mt.6:33).

As a serving believer, God has placed the Holy Spirit within you, and He has been teaching you ever since to listen and respond to the His Spirit’s counsel.    You don’t have to know the reason for everything, and there’s no requirement that you figure it all out before you respond. You just need to trust and obey.  God says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you” (Psalm 32:8 NIV).  How does He do this?


  1. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  Psa 119:103-105  God's word guides and instructs. It is through this that we can know what is God's will versus our own desires or a false trail being laid by the evil one.  Knowledge of the scripture helps us to know how God thinks, what God likes and dislikes, and what God has done for others in similar situations. Knowledge of the scripture strengthens faith, encourages growth and heightens our senses to determine what God's will is for us.
  2.  "At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word.." Col 4:3  Prayer and asking God what His will is for the believer is a must (Jas.4:15). This does not mean that things will always be favorable for me, as God may answer NO (Acts 16:6). This is why talking with God through prayer on a regular basis as Jesus did, is needed. The more we talk to God, the more we know God and the more we can determine God's desires for us.
  3. Your job is to trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding (Prov.3:5-6).  This is difficult, because all of us like to reason to our own liking and justify our own motives. As with the above, I must learn through God's word and be aware of what God DOES say. I must also SEEK God and TALK to God to ask HIS will. Then, I must TRUST God, that He will reveal the best interests for me.


What plans in your life indicate you may be attempting a self-guided walk as opposed to relying on God?  Have you been feeling God nudge you to do something only to run away from it or dismiss it?  Are you allowing God to guide your life?

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment