Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cheering when God is unexpectedly mentioned in a summer blockbuster movie. | Stuff Christians Like – Jon Acuff

Cheering when God is unexpectedly mentioned in a summer blockbuster movie. | Stuff Christians Like – Jon Acuff:

'via Blog this'


If you haven’t seen the Avengers, this is a spoiler alert:
Captain America is in the movie.
That’s not a spoiler? He’s on the poster and in all the trailers? Fair enough, but if you did see it and you’re a Christian, you undoubtedly cheered in your seat at a certain scene.
You know the one I’m talking about.
Scarlet Johannsen, the criminally unarmed female lead (seriously she’s standing next to the Hulk and Thor with a tiny handgun), warns Captain America about getting in between Loki and Thor. She tells him he’s over his head because they are both “gods.” And Captain America responds with this:
Cue quiet cheer in my seat in the theater. Yay! A God shout out! Way to go movie. Or Marvel. Or Stan Lee. Yay all of you!
Granted, I didn’t think much was going to come of that. I didn’t anticipate an altar call at the end of the movie, me maybe baptizing a few people in the soda fountain in the lobby, popcorn raining down on us like delicious manna.
I’m not that silly. I know that’s not going to happen. I went on watching the movie with nary a thought about the Christian implications. Until …
that other scene with the Hulk. You know the one I’m talking about. It’s the one I watched 100 times on YouTube. I think I might have even stood up a little in the theater when he muttered “Puny gods.”
Granted, the Hulk didn’t then say, “There’s only one Alpha and Omega, He gives and takes away, blessed be the name …” but it’s close enough for me.
Is that enough to turn the Avengers into a sermon series, a la “The Matrix” and “Gladiator.” Maybe not, but there’s definitely enough in there for a Vacation Bible School Avengers theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment