Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

OBEDIENCE! or Obedience?

OBEDIENCE!  The very word conjures rebellion in the mind of the hearer. Human psyche automatically responds with thinking of ways not to obey. The Old Testament is replete with God's pleadings with the people to obey and the consequences of not doing so. 

"See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you today, If you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all nations of the earth; for all the earth belongs to me."
Deut.11:26-28

"Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine..."
Ex. 19:5 

Jesus phrased it this way: "Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them (Jn.14:21)."

To speak about obedience in a positive light today's world goes profoundly against the culture at large. Those who speak about it as a good thing, are viewed as "authoritarian," "old school," and other such labels designed to make the person to appear to be a little "off."  People sometimes confuse obedience with "blind obedience," and the person is viewed as not seriously considering the modern way of thinking. Obedience can be and is often confused with "going along with and not asking questions."  Some would say that obedience is "duty" or what is expected.  "Because it says so," is often heard. 

However, obedience really means responsiveness, to hear, to listen, to respond appropriately. It is not the surrender of responsibility to just give yourself over "because you have to." Rather, it is the acceptance of responsibility for what we respond to and how. For those who walk by the Spirit, obedience is a response to grace in appreciation of what God has done for me in that Grace. Peter says that it is the response of a willing heart and good conscience toward God (1 Pet.3:21).  He would know for several reasons. First, he was a follower of the Lord because he thought it was the right thing to do (Jn.6:68,69) . He would learn, that this is not enough to sustain a person's spirit in temptation. Second, he obeyed the Lord at times blindly without considering consequences or reasons (Jn.13:37). He would learn that Satan has no compassion and what being sifted like wheat would mean. Third, he learned that the only obedience that was genuine was when it came from the heart in a response of appreciation of love (Jn.21:12-23).  

Will you?

Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment