Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Bare Naked Faith: Stop Trying to Save Face

Bare Naked Faith: Stop Trying to Save Face  via http://barenakedfaith.blogspot.com/2011/05/stop-trying-to-save-face.html
Thursday, May 12, 2011

Stop Trying to Save Face

My confession- I've done it. When I fall or do something dumb or humiliate myself. I try to recover. Pick myself up and act like nothing happened. Never mind that there is blood dripping down my need or that I really did just trip over my own feet. The higher the stakes, the higher the tendency to "save face".


That's why I deeply appreciate the role model in Bible of the life of David. In 2 Samuel 6, he models for a key principle in life and leadership about how we need to stop trying to save face.


Here's some context- David has recently taken over as king of Israel after long run for his life from his predecessor and father-in-law, King Saul. David has also decide to bring the "ark of the Covenant" (the place where God's presence resided for the nation of Israel) into the capital city of Jerusalem. They brought the ark in with great festivities, religious pomp, sacrifices, and celebration. After celebrating, David came home to his wife...


Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!” 2 Samuel 6:20.


She saw David's worship and love for God as a vulgar humiliation before the people. He was supposed to act dignified and regal. How much pressure do we get to act and perform in a certain matter? How often have we allowed expectations to change our attitude of worship?


David said to Michal, “It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the LORD. 2 Samuel 6:21.


His response- "I don't serve you or obey what anyone else thinks. I exist to honor God." Who are we trying impress? We will worship them.


"I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.” 2 Samuel 6:22.


David is willing to be humiliated in the sight of God. No one does this to him, but he willingly recognizes that he is nothing before God, and considers it a privilege to worship God.


David also deeply understands that when a person humbles themselves before God, then God honors them. When we are willing to be humiliated before God, only then can God use us to bring Him great glory. Since, only then can God trust us to not attempt to take the glory or desire attention. We read this principle many times by several authors- Job 22:29; Ps. 138:6; Prov. 3:34; Matt. 23:12; James 4:6; 1 Pet. 5:5.


When we give glory to God and are willingly humiliated before God, interestingly we gain honor and are viewed with greater respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment