Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: From The Cross To The Church by: A.C.Graziano

From The Cross To The Church by: A.C.Graziano
As an amatuer historian and archaeological enthusist,  especially of biblical things I was drawn to this book by its title and subject matter. The author tries to present what many have written volumes on in a concise volume. A daunting task to say the least. I am writing this review being now only part way through the book  because I wanted to capture thoughts while they were fresh on my mind.
I have found the book interesting and frustrating at the same time. Even at this point in the book I would not recommend it to a novice. What I am sure was meant to be presented as factual..matter of fact, I found to be chaotic and having to go back and reread to make sure of things. There are assertions made with no footnote or reference to back it up, only to have it explained a little better later on and then more doubt cast after that. The book is good if you are delving into the origins of suspicions and thoughts surrounding them. It is good if you are researching some of the background of the development of trends that lead to reactions, that lead to development of human doctrine. But as a critical reference, it takes too much for granted to be a single volume and leaves little critical evidence or citation to substantiate it. It is footnoted in places and that I appreciated. But there are not near enough.
If you are versed in history and the facts surrounding biblical events, then you could find the book engaging. If you are not or are thinking about recommending it to someone who is not - don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment