Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

By My Hand

For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.  According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 
1Cor 3:9-11

These are familiar words and good advice given by Paul as he was struggling with popularity crazes. These even exist today, and even among "religious folk" where people tend to prefer one preacher or leader over another. The whole context of this passage cited is where people in Corinth had their "favorites." And those who do miss the point entirely, that we are all in God's house together, all working together to glorify God, not one another.  If Paul, a Pharisee at one time can get this picture, then surely we should. Who I am, is not important in the grand scheme of things as it concerns what God wants done. I am just another in the process, if I allow God to work through me, to accomplish what God wants done in a particular place. What is important, is that in all things, Christ and God are glorified through what I say and what I do - no matter where we are or where we go. 

Why am I writing this? Because this will be the last article for this bulletin that I will write, and today the last sermon(s) I will speak as the "preacher" here at this place. My blog will continue and you can follow me there (http://thespiritualforge.blogspot.com/), but, God has chosen a new venture for us and I follow God's leading to this new place. In turn, God has something new in mind for you. I do not know what it is or how it will happen, but I know that God has had us working together for the last 25 years to bring it to this point, so - it is something good if you follow God. There is sadness, you can't do something for this long and there not be. Just as Paul and the Ephesians had emotional moments when he left Ephesus to go to other places God had in mind for him, so now it is my turn. And, as Paul encouraged the Ephesians, I want to encourage you.

  1. Make sure God is glorified by what you do. Your testimony as a congregation speaks of how for years and sometimes through hardship and tears you have sought to make sure that God is the one who receives the glory. Make sure that this continues. "For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.1Cor 3:11
  2. Don't quit doing the good that is begun in you. There is a lot of good happening, and a lot of new growth that we have experienced. There is potential for even more. Do not quit showing the love, concern, and desire to teach that you have in you. There is much more work to do, especially with those who do not come as much as they should, those who are new to our number, and those whose needs are known to us all. "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you..." 2 Tm.1:6 
There is much more that I could say, but nothing more than I have said within the last 25 years that we have been together. Nothing more could I say, than what is already said in your own Bibles. I therefore leave you in the capable hands of God, who can do great things in you and through you if you will allow Him to do so. Pray for us as we go on our journey and perhaps if God wills we will see each other again in this life. If not, then let us live so that we may see each other in eternity. I look forward to that day!

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment