Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Soul Keeping Caring For the Most Important Part of You by John Ortberg

The title above is a book I have been reviewing written by John Ortberg. I have had this book for a while, simply not having time to review it.  My wife and I went on a trip to the Bahamas and I knew that we would be on a plane for a while. So, I decided that this would be a good time to catch up. I wish I had done this sooner. I'm not writing this to simply laud a book. I honestly was blown away and am still blown away by this book. My first impression of the book was that it would be a sleepy ho-hum read. The introduction was as I expected and the first couple of chapters along with the title had me believing that this was going to be the typical "sermon" type stuff that I have read countless times. But then, I noticed several comments being made that I highlighted. Nice...I thought, I'll have to remember that.  Then I noticed that my highlights were becoming more and more, and I noticed myself going back and re-reading things again. This was the first time that I had ever seen anyone go outside of a clinical definition of the soul and get to the root. It was becoming very eye opening and is one of the best expose on the human eternal spirit that I have seen. I found myself searching out my own soul and discovering that I have not been the best keeper of one of the most precious gifts that God had offered. I discovered that my "crutches" were toothpicks and found myself jarred out of the nestled complacency that I had allowed myself to get used to. 

I have not found a negative in this book. What I thought was going to be blah-blah became a tsunami of soul searching. I heartily recommend this book for personal reading. Churches need to teach this for a curriculum. Preachers and church leaders need to read this book for personal investigation. You need this book!

Mr, Ortberg - Well done and well written.


Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment