Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Chemistry, Mental, Circumstances and Relationships

What makes you who you are? What influences what and who you can become? These are questions that everyone asks. A question that needs to be considered is what does God want me to be, and how can I become what God wants me to be?

As with any destination, we have to first know where we are and then where we are going before we can see clearly the path how to get from here to there.  Who we are is made up of several things, starting with myself in what I think and how I am made. How I think of and see myself influences me to a great part. The relationships that I have and cultivate also influence who and what I become. Circumstances of life impact me as well, whether rich, poor, literate, illiterate etc. 

The first two are chemistry and mental. Consciousness is how you talk to and about yourself. We often don't realize how we talk about ourselves. However, it is a behavior that we pick up very early in life. We hear toddlers saying things like "I'm smart," or "I'm stupid." Even at this age, we at times allow what others say about us to influence what we say or think about ourselves. In fact, if we talked to your friends the way we talk to ourselves, you probably wouldn't be friends anymore, because our thoughts are filled with the lies we've heard from other people that we've let simmer and fester. When we repeat other people’s thoughts in our head, they go deeper and deeper in our consciousness, and they begin to shape our identity. This is why the scripture warns us, Prov.4:23  Carefully guard your thoughts because they are the source of true life.  Your thoughts don’t have to be true to hurt you; you just have to believe them. Creating false memories and thoughts is easier than we wish to admit. If you tell yourself your marriage won’t last, then likely it won't. If you fear that a black cat running across your path will cause bad luck for you, then bad luck comes to you. Your thoughts run your life! Now we can understand why Jesus states, "Good people bring good things out of their hearts, but evil people bring evil things out of their hearts." ( Mt 12:35)

Relationships influence us in many ways.  From our first relationships with parents, to influences of other children while we grow, interactions as a teen, spouses, workmates and more. We are barraged with examples and influences both good and bad. The Proverbs tell us, "Wise friends make you wise, but you hurt yourself by going around with fools (Prov.13:20)."  Thus, we should take care whom we befriend because we tend to take up the habits, attitudes, and thoughts of those whom we hang around with.  

This brings us to circumstances. Circumstances are the things that happen to you and around you — none of which you control. Trauma, trouble, happy events, sad events, shocking events...all of these shape life. Perhaps even abuse has affected your identity. If you've ever had a series of failures or a catastrophe, it leaves an indelible mark on who you are.Yet, here is something to remember! Your circumstances may be out of your control, but God is in control of everything. Just because something bad or tragic may have happened, doesn't mean that it controls your life or should control your life. God is God in all things and at all times. Prov.16:9 The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps

Your thoughts shape who you are, but you can change the way you think. Your circumstances and consciousness have shaped who you are, but the way you respond to your circumstances and the thoughts you choose to believe will shape the rest of your life. In any of these, you will either choose to have God by your side - or not. 

Some merciless people are trying to trap me, but I never turn my back on your teachings.  They will always be my most prized possession and my source of joy. I have made up my mind to obey your laws forever, no matter what. 
Psa 119:110-112

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment