Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Power of Change is within YOU!

There are times that we all want to change things, whether our looks, our jobs, our activities, etc. But for one reason or another, we never seem to get around to doing so. Sometimes we feel intimidated by perceived obstacles, other times, we just feel like we can't change because it would upset things too much. Many times, we do not change simply because we do not want to.

Where it concerns the ability to change myself spiritually, the power to change is always within you. As long as I am breathing, if I can chance nothing else about me, I CAN change my spirit and my destiny.  This is evident in the writings of Hosea, a man who saw much of the circumstances of his life change dramatically before his eyes. Listen as he tells us what true change requires and how we can do it.


Hosea 4:1 "Hear the word of the LORD, O children of Israel, for the LORD has a controversy with the inhabitants of the land. There is no faithfulness or steadfast love, and no knowledge of God in the land..."   The first step is to recognize that God's wisdom is better than my own. Change involves at its core, a shift from dependence on our own resources, to dependance upon God.


Hos 14:2  "Take with you words and return to the LORD; say to him, "Take away all iniquity; accept what is good, and we will pay with bulls the vows of our lips.   "Take words (vs.2)" shows more than just a blaise commitment. For change to be real, we must have a clear idea what we are changing from, and what we wish to change to. I must now allow or use "secret faults (Psa.19:12)" or the fact that I have sinned become excuses to either prevent change, or to just rinse the surface, leaving the deeper dirt unattended. God's forgiveness and belief in ME that I can change, makes change possible. If you are willing to change, God is willing to forgive, and God has confidence in you that if you trust Him that you CAN!   Such hope cannot be achieved by trying to understand things the way the world does, nor can it be achieved the way that the world does. Change requires within me an admission that what I have been depending upon for life up until now will let me down and has let me down. This leads to True Change! (Job 13:15).


A changed heart says " we will say no more..(Hos.14:3)"  Change is a path of openness, honesty, and admitting my vulnerabilities. Yet, the fruits of this change are well worth it both in this world and definitely in the world to come (Hos.14:4-8) 


  • Compassion for others (14:3)
  • Waywardness is healed (14:4)
  • Spiritual and Godly Roots are deepened and stability is found (14:5)
  • Life becomes attractive once more (14:6)
  • The shade of God's truth becomes blessing (14:7)
  • Worship becomes a joyful fruit and pleasure (14:8)
Hos 14:9  Whoever is wise, let him understand these things; whoever is discerning, let him know them; for the ways of the LORD are right, and the upright walk in them, but transgressors stumble in them. 


Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment