Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Does God want us to cast our burdens on Him even if their burdens we have created?

Does God want us to cast our burdens on Him even if their burdens we have created?

The passage referred to is 1 Pet.5:7. Study of the context of the passage will tell us what we should know...

1Pe 5:6-8 Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, so that at the right time he may lift you up. Throw all your anxieties upon him, because he cares about you. Stay sober, stay alert! Your enemy, the Adversary, stalks about like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

The first thing you notice, is the passage refers to humility. Defined, this is is the quality of being modest, reverential, even politely submissive, and never being arrogant, contemptuous. The passage beckons us to humble ourselves before God. So, in first response to your question, if the situation is one that I have created, it would depend upon my attitude. Is my attitude one of "Hey God - Guess what, I'm here again. Now get down here and help me out" -- then the answer to my prayer and behest of God is going to be a flat NO! Because until I learn humility, "God opposes the arrogant, but to the humble he gives grace." James 4:6

If my attitude is, "not even raise his eyes toward heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God! Have mercy on me, sinner that I am!' (Lke.1813), then the answer would be yes, God would look upon my anxiety and strive to help and be gracious.

The second part to this, is that God does care for us, even when we walk into the devil's jaws. He does not promise us that we will not be hurt, suffer consequences, or even have to wallow in the manure of sin for a while before we come to understand what God offers and that what He offers is not to be taken for granted (Lk.15:11-32)

Third - Notice vs.8. Stay sober, stay alert! Your enemy, the Adversary, stalks about like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Sober here means just that - the opposite of drunk! Not drunk as in intoxicated, but to keep my mind clear at all times. To not allow my thinking to become mottled with intoxicants, life, sin, or anything else that will cause me to drop my guard. Because when I do, that is when Satan will attack and temptation will be least likely to be resisted. I am to stay alert so that I can see what is going on around me at all times, and so that I can see clearly the dangers in front of me and avoid them. It doesn't take too many times stubbing toes in the dark and running headlong into sharp cornered furniture in the dark to realize that it is better to navigate the room with the light on.

We are all prodigal sons at some point, gathered all together, and taking our journeys into a far country, and there wasted our substance and ourselves with riotous and reckless living. It is the HUMBLE, that come to their senses, realize what they have given up, what they have done, and returning to their Father. These are the ones that God seeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment