Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

REVIEW: Influencing Like Jesus by Michael Zigarelli

Lately, I have been trying to "improve my serve" so to speak, looking into ways that I can be a better teacher, mentor, person. This set me on a quest for knowledge and I didn't want to approach things the old standard way. I've seen too many books out there that treat teaching the gospel like selling the latest "Bando buy it now for only $19.95" commercial. I wanted something genuine, that helped me to think.

Enter Michael Zigarelli's book "Influencing Like Jesus" that was recommended to me. So I did the cautious thing and went to Amazon to check it out. I wanted to see what others had said about it, and if I could to get a sneak peek inside. I found that I was able to download a sample, so I did. I liked what I saw, but initially thought that this was sort of the "same ol'" that I have heard. So, I bought the book - the actual book not a digital copy.

Now, I'm a slow reader because I like to process what I read. I like to catch the snipits and dwell on them, think about them, and study them along with the Bible if they are a spiritually oriented book as this one is. And I have been processing.
  • Much of what he has written, I already "know" and a lot of it I have done. What I found intriguing was the genuineness behind the book and the encouragement I felt to do and be what he was recommending.
  • Another thing that stood out to me in the book was the parallels to biblical examples to what he was citing. This - struck home with me!
  • The more I read, the more intrigued I became. I also now have the workbook, and find it equally stimulating.
  • Each section offers opportunity for reflection and discussion (especially if you are in a small group) and a worksheet - which I loved and have implemented.
My overall opinion on this book if you have not gathered by now, is good. I heartily recommend it to those trying to teach others the gospel or to lead group studies within their congregations. I believe you can be bettered by reading it. Its intriguing and not some boring "sales manual" type of book. It is engaging and I recommend it for your own library and personal development. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment